On 30th August 1994, the United Nations General Assembly adopted resolution A/RES/48/265 granting Permanent Observer status to the Sovereign Order of Malta, thereby recognizing the Order’s ...
Internship | Permanent Observer Mission to the UN
Scan me or visit www.orderofmaltavision2050.com/o/Sovereign-Order-of-Malta-Permanent-Mission-to-the-UN-in-Geneva/opportunities/Internship--Permanent-Observer-Mission-to-the-UN/52313 to join
SummaryThe Permanent Mission of the Sovereign Order of Malta to the United Nations Office at Geneva is looking for interns interested in joining the Mission.
This internship will provide an invaluable experience on human rights, international and humanitarian law, international relations and diplomacy. The intern will have the opportunity to learn more about the many activities of the Order of Malta and discover the multilateral
environment in Geneva.
The Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta is a lay/religious order of the Catholic Church, a humanitarian institution present in 120 countries and a subject of international law maintaining full diplomatic relations with 112 States, the European Union and Permanent Observer status at the United Nations. It is neutral, impartial and apolitical. Its motto since the 11th century is tuitio fidei et obsequium pauperum.
- University degree (or ongoing) in International Relations, Political Sciences, Law…
- Full proficiency in English, good level of French
- Flexible working hours, part-time (50% or more)
- Excellent writing, oral, research and communication skills
- Ability to work in group or independently
- Previous relevant professional experience is a valuable asset
- Knowledge and strong interest in international human rights issues
- Competence in Social Networks, Microsoft Office and computer software
Duties and responsibilities
- Researches (relevant documents, reports, data, articles…)
- Drafting executive reports and statements
- Assisting in administrative work
- Assisting in the preparation and organization of events (including online events)
- Preparing content for social media
- Attending and taking notes at conferences and events at the United Nations,
- International Organizations in Geneva and online
- Other tasks related to the internship program
Workspace: The intern will have a workspace available at the Permanent Mission. Interns should use their own computers for the duration of the program.
Working hours: The internship is part-time on a flexible basis, but the intern must be available to work at about 50% capacity.
Disclaimer: The internship is unpaid, the Permanent Mission will not take on any financial responsibility related to travel, accommodation, or meal costs.
About Sovereign Order of Malta Permanent Mission to the UN in Geneva
In the historic setting of the Palais des Nations, the United Nations Office at Geneva brings together individuals, organizations, and nations to ensure a better future for all. As a diplomatic center, with near-universal representation of States, Geneva is the ideal location for successful international cooperation.
Considered the global hub of human rights and humanitarian affairs, “International Geneva” comprises the United Nations, 40 International Organizations and some 750 registered NGOs. Bringing together thousands of delegations it is the biggest center for multilateral diplomacy and one of the foremost centers of global governance in the world. In 2019 more than 12,300 meetings, conferences and events were hosted at the Palais des Nations alone, with the attendance of around 4’700 VIPs, including 97 heads of state.
“International Geneva” thus offers a unique platform for the Order of Malta to engage actively in international affairs. (UN agencies, inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations, academia, think tanks, private sector, and civil society).
The main organizations with which the Order cooperates in the field around the world have their headquarters in Geneva. Areas of expertise of particular interest to the Order are peace and security, humanitarian action, international humanitarian and human rights law, human rights, migration, refugees, health, the environment, and sustainable development.