Serviciul de Ajutor Maltez în România (SAMR) is a non-profit association headquartered in Cluj-Napoca. For 30 years, through 17 branches and branches in the country, we have been running programs for ...
Together for Ukrainian refugees in Romania | Relief Service, Romania
Scan me or visit www.orderofmaltavision2050.com/o/Serviciul-de-Ajutor-Maltez-in-Romania-SAMR--Relief-Service-Romania/opportunities/Together-for-Ukrainian-refugees-in-Romania--Relief-Service-Romania/52046 to join
SummaryWe're looking for volunteers to support our teams at the Ukraine-Romania border for at least 1 week at a time.
The Malteser Relief Organization in Rumania has over 30 years of experience in helping those in need. Thus, from the first moment, we are also involved in the management of the refugee crisis situation in Ukraine, starting with February 25th.
Currently, our volunteers work constantly and consistently at 3 crossing points of the Ukrainian-Romanian border: Sighetu Marmației, Satu Mare and Siret (Suceava County). At these points, permanent socio-medical assistance is provided through the involvement of dozens of volunteers. Upon arrival, people from Ukraine are greeted by our colleagues. During the short period of time they spend in our care, we offer for the refugees the following:
- water, tea, coffee, sandwiches and sweets;
- children: we have a play corner and we offer plush toys and other small toys to take with them;
- if necessary, we provide basic first aid
- crisis intervention: we offer them a warm place to rest and some understanding words, thus assuring them that now they are safe and we are with them, they are no longer alone;
- the possibility to charge their phones and if possible we also offer them free SIM cards;
- information about their possibilities, depending on their wishes if they plan to stay in the country or if they want to transit to other countries;
Most people have been on the road for several days and stay at the border for hours in the cold, rain, even snow. These people obviously had to leave in a hurry and with little luggage to carry with them. Thus, water, sandwiches, sweets and toys for children are their first contact with safety and most likely the first time they can sit for a few minutes to rest and eat to talk quietly, in the warmth.
In addition to this intervention, our organization collects donations to transport them to Ukraine based on requests from our colleagues there. In Satu Mare is our logistics center. Donations are collected there, selected and categorized. Subsequently, they are sent, depending on the needs, to the 3 borders where we operate in Ukraine or directly to Ukraine.
About Serviciul de Ajutor Maltez în România (SAMR) | Relief Service, Romania
Christian values and humanitarian principles are at the heart of our actions: the Maltese Aid Service in Romania is the bearer of the mission of the Sovereign Order of Malta.