The Brotherhood of Blessed Gérard is an Association of the Roman Catholic Church (FBO), the Relief Organisation of the Order of Malta in South Africa, a Public Benefit Organisation (PBO 18/11/13/2769) ...
Volunteering at Blessed Gérard's Care Centre (South Africa)
Scan me or visit www.orderofmaltavision2050.com/o/Brotherhood-of-Blessed-Gerard/opportunities/Volunteering-at-Blessed-Gerards-Care-Centre-South-Africa/55076 to join
SummaryVolunteering at Blessed Gérard's Hospice and Blessed Gérard's Children's Home
Our program for the help of volunteers from outside South Africa
- have reached the age of 21.
- have good to very good knowledge of English.
- have basic nursing knowledge (for helping out in the hospice).
- have basic pedagogical knowledge (to help in the children's home, e.g. through experience in leading youth groups, teacher training or similar).
- be open and empathetic.
- respect a foreign culture.
- fit into the existing structures.
- have a positive attitude towards the church.
The applicants will be
- prepared for a possible assignment (motivational analysis, personal selection interview, information about the country and its people, culture, behavioral norms, etc.).
- cared for during their deployment.
- reflect on their experiences in a debriefing after their assignment.
There are different areas to help:
Help in the children's home
- through homework supervision and tutoring for children with learning difficulties and
- offering recreational activities, particularly on weekends and during vacations.
- These activities should do justice to the special situation of the children and contribute to their personal development.
Help in the hospice
- in the care and end-of-life care of terminally ill mostly AIDS patients.
- The voluntary helpers are prepared for the special situation of caring for AIDS patients and are assigned to work alongside an experienced carer.